Friday, May 18, 2007

Hankering for a Camera: Olympus E510

Olympus E510I want a dSLR. And not just any dSLR... well, ok, I'd settle for any, but if I had the means, I'd probably go for the Oly EVOLT 510. Why?
Well, aside from the digital dedicated 4/3 format which allows for smaller and lighter lenses that gather more light than those made for 35mm, there's the 10 megapixel Live-MOS imaging sensor, enabling the user to compose pictures with the 2.5 inch hypercrystal LCD (which in itself allows a viewing angle of up to 170 degrees without shadow or glare) in Live View mode, not something that most dSLRs are able to do. It also utilizes two storage mediums: CF and XD memory cards, allowing the user more storage options than your usual dSLR. Like other Oly EVOLT dSLRs, it possesses a Supersonic Wave Filter for sensor dust protection, allowing the user to change lenses in almost any field condition. It also features an in-body image stabilizer, meaning that, since it's part of the body itself, image stabilization with this camera can be used with any lens.

Honestly, I haven't got much in the way of experience with dSLRs. If I do get to have though, I'd want to have one of these. :D According to www.olympusamerica.com, it retails for about $999.99 with two lenses: 14-42mm and a 40-150mm! Wow. Anyone need a liver? I'm kidding.